Like us, our pets too can suffer sunburn and develop skin cancer. Every summer, emergency room staff attend to dogs and cats with burned paws, heat stroke and cancerous lesions. Minimizing exposure, applying sunscreen and never leaving your beloved animals in the car on a sweltering day are some ways to protect your pets from the sun. Read these summer safety tips for your pets.
1. Keep them indoors when it’s hot: Do not take them for walks or to the dog park between 11 am and 3 pm when the sun is at its peak. Walk your pooch earlier in the morning or later in the evening when the sun is setting. Hairless breeds and pets with white or lighter-colored fur are especially vulnerable to sunburn. Consider a sun shirt. There are many cute garments designed specifically for pets.
2. Check the sidewalk: If it is too hot for you to hold your hand on the sidewalk for 5 seconds, your pet should not walk on it either. If you take them out at midday, find a shady area, preferably with grass to prevent burned paws and heat stroke.
3. Apply sunscreen: Choose sunblock carefully and avoid products used for humans. Products containing zinc oxide, for example, can be toxic if ingested. It is best to consult your vet about what to use. Apply generous amounts of sunscreen on the tips of your pet’s ears and nose, belly as well as on other vulnerable areas. Avoid getting it in their eyes.
4. Keep them hydrated: Provide plenty of fresh water for them to drink, especially in the summer months. Make sure their indoor and outdoor water bowls are placed in the shade. Cool your pooch down with a water hose or a swim after exercise or move them to a shady area. Look for visible signs of heat stress—like heavy panting, glazed eyes, a rapid pulse, unsteadiness, a staggering gait, vomiting or a deep red or purple tongue. Take them to the veterinarian immediately if these symptoms become severe.
5. Never leave your pet in the car: According to The Humane Society the temperature in a car can exceed 120°F in a matter of minutes on a warm day, even with the windows partially open. This can cause brain damage or worse still, death from heatstroke or suffocation.
Pet doors allow your dog or cat to go in and out in the summer. At A1 On Track Sliding Door, Inc., our energy-efficient pet doors are easily installed in your existing sliding glass door panel. Custom sizes and advanced security features match the needs of your pets and home. Count on our professional mobile team to provide prompt installation and repair services. For over 28 years, Bay Area homeowners have relied on our high-quality doors and personalized service. Read these testimonials from our customers.
Ask our friendly and knowledgeable team about how our doors can help protect your pets from the sun.
Call 408-866-0267 today to schedule an appointment. If it slides, we’ll make it glide.
Originally posted at: https://www.slidingdoorrepair.com/protect-your-pets-from-the-sun/
Kevin Dean, President of WSI Net Advantage...
We are committed to protecting your privacy. For more info, please review our Privacy and Cookie Policies. You may unsubscribe at any time.