Sliding glass doors are a popular choice with Bay Area homeowners for areas leading to the backyard or patio. They add style, bring in natural light, and offer clear views. However, they are susceptible to damage from flying objects during a storm and when breached, can allow debris and water into your home. Here are some tips for protecting your beautiful sliding doors and your home from storm damage.
5 Ways to Protect Your Sliding Patio Doors during California Storms
- Choose the right landscaping materials: Strong winds turn small rocks and gravel into deadly objects that can shatter your glass patio door. Use mulch to lower the risk of breakage and any injuries from flying glass. This article in The Hartford’s Extra Mile also recommends flagstone walkways and asphalt or cement driveways to minimize storm damage.
- Install storm shutters on your doors: They are easy to close and prevent rocks and any unsecured objects from damaging the glass on your sliding door. Available in many styles and a variety of materials, including wood, steel, and aluminum, they are a wise investment for homes in a storm zone.
- Secure outdoor furniture and other ‘projectile’ objects: Secure smaller objects, such as grills and outdoor furniture, by bolting them to decks or patios with ground anchors that have cables and chains. If you have adequate warning before a storm, move smaller objects like toys and tools inside.
- Relocate trees that are too close to your home: The ideal distance between a tree and your home is more than its height (when full grown). This reduces the likelihood of broken branches or the tree itself falling on your house. Remove any debris or loose vegetation well before a storm to avoid potential danger.
- Inspect your sliding doors annually: Inspect door rollers, tracks, locks, screens, and weather stripping for signs of damage. Remember to check the glass for cracks. Broken rollers and tracks, a collapsed doorframe and cracked glass are all safety hazards. Call our sliding door repair technician to fix or replace your door before a storm.
Mobile Service for Door Repair and Replacement
At A1 On Track Sliding Door, Inc., our professional mobile team responds to your requests promptly. We offer a wide range of services, from installation and replacement to repairs of storm-damaged sliding doors. For over 28 years, Bay Area homeowners have relied on our cost-effective and efficient services. Read these testimonials from our customers.
Ask our friendly and knowledgeable team about more tips for protecting sliding doors from storm damage.
Call 408-866-0267 today to schedule an appointment. If it slides, we’ll make it glide.
Originally posted at https://www.slidingdoorrepair.com/protecting-sliding-doors-from-storm-damage/