Should You Add a New Room or Rebuild?
Get Answers for the Big Dilemma in Home Improvement Projects
If you are facing the ‘should I add a new room or rebuild?’ dilemma, you are not alone. When it comes to home improvement projects, many of us ask the same question and need to decide between remodeling and rebuilding. While each option has its own pros and cons, the experts at Flegel’s Construction Co. offer some insights on what may work best for you.
Remodel Versus Rebuild: What Will You Choose?
- Timeline: The physical elements of your home come with an expiry date. For example, repainting the exteriors of your home could be a planned expense. However, costs escalate if that comes up in the same year as an unexpected replacement of the roof, gutters or HVAC system. If you plan to stay in the home for the next several years, building a custom home will allow you to reset the clock on the structure, integrity and materials of your new construction. In the long run, building a new house is more cost-effective than remodeling.
- Budget: Do you have a tight budget and want to make small improvements in a piecemeal manner? Or can you scale up your spend for a big bang rebuild? If your bathroom needs some TLC, or your kitchen needs a refresh, you can plan each project as and when your financial situation allows. You get to control the costs in drips and gushes, as per your comfort and convenience. Besides, in a remodel, the basic elements of your house are already in place and paid for. On the other hand, building a custom home is a big leap that comes with its own share of challenges. The unknown or uncontrollable elements of rebuilding translate into less control over costs, and unpredictable completion dates.
- Better versus cheaper: For the most part, remodeling is cheaper, rebuilding is better. Constructing a new build from the ground up gives you the opportunity to change the architectural style, opt for eco-friendly updates, and create a strong and functional design. New systems, ducting, plumbing, electricals and energy-efficient fittings could vastly improve your living space and future maintenance expenses. As well, the ability to personalize the home to your lifestyle and preferences makes rebuilding a highly attractive option when you want better instead of cheaper.
- External factors: The only outside influence on your rebuild versus remodel decision comes in the form of community restrictions. Although some building and zoning restrictions have always existed, in recent years, many communities have become less lenient towards a tear-down-and-rebuild approach. This is because local building departments are intent on preserving the character of cities, by preserving its housing stock.
Both remodeling and rebuilding can give you the bells and whistles that you want in your home improvement project. However, gutting and building a new house may become imperative when:
- The improvements you desire are not possible within the existing structure.
- The condition of your house is poor. For example, fixing a foundation problem could drain your finances even before you can start remodeling.
- The improvement you seek is greater ceiling height. Usually, there is no simple way to achieve that, without removing and reconstructing the upper floor.
Hire the Bay Area’s Trusted Construction and Renovation Contractor
At Flegel’s Construction Co., we have extensive experience in home remodeling, as well as new home construction. Our team of innovative architects and skilled craftsmen are passionate about creating luxurious spaces that are attractive and functional. Whether you choose to remodel or rebuild, you can count on us for quality materials and high-end finishes, on time and on-budget.
Check out what clients have to say about our many successful projects in and around the Bay Area, including Palo Alto, Mountain View, Santa Clara, Stanford, Sunnyvale, and San Jose, CA.
Still wondering whether you should add a new room or rebuild? Speak to one of the experts at Flegel’s Construction today. Call us at 408-269-1101 to discuss your requirements or contact us online.
Originally posted at https://www.flegelsconstruction.com/should-you-add-a-new-room-or-rebuild/