Planning for Aging in Place
Plan Your Home Modifications for Aging-In-Place
RECOMMENDATIONS FROM EXPERIENCED RENOVATION CONTRACTORS
Prefer to spend your golden years in your own home? Not sure how to make it safe and suitable for aging-in-place? From practical layouts to lifestyle-friendly features, even a few minor updates will hugely enhance the quality of your life. Learn what type of home renovations to consider while planning for aging-in-place.
KEY MODIFICATIONS TO HELP SENIORS STAY LONGER IN THEIR OWN HOMES
While aging in the comfort of your home has many advantages, it also comes with challenges related to access, safety and mobility. When you are planning for aging-in-place, consider your lifestyle, current health and issues that may occur in the future. This will help you decide on suitable renovations to make your home more conducive to aging-in-place.
Whether you are renovating for yourself or helping a senior loved one to continue living at home, here are some enhancements to consider:
Minor modifications in your home:
- Replace doorknobs with lever-style knobs that are easier to grip and do not need a twisting motion.
- Replace standard light switches with rocker-type or toggle switches.
- Tape down or secure the loose ends of your carpets, area rugs and staircase runners.
- Install slip-resistant flooring materials such as vinyl, linoleum, bamboo or cork.
- Brighten up dark areas of your home. Consider adding light fixtures with motion or sound-activation features.
- Widen narrow hallways and doorways that are less than 32 inches wide. If you ever need to use a wheelchair or walker, this modification will be required.
- If your stairway rails and handles are not sturdy, replace them with more solid ones.
Bathroom remodeling to increase home safety for seniors:
- Install safety grab bars in your shower stall, tub and toilet areas, where slips and falls are most likely to occur.
- Consider replacing your existing tub with an easy-access, walk-in version, or get rid of the tub and install a walk-in shower with a seat.
- Upgrade your vanity to ensure that the countertop is at a convenient height, and storage is easily accessible.
Kitchen renovations for seniors staying at home:
- Replace your cabinet knobs with handles that offer a better grip.
- Install drawers in place of cabinets, wherever possible.
- Change the height of your countertops, if the existing ones are too tall.
- Place microwaves and other small appliances on countertops for better accessibility.
- If your existing kitchen faucet has a knob, replace that with a lever-handle.
- Consider investing in an induction cooktop stove, as it will reduce the chances of accidental burns or injuries.
TRENDY AGING-IN-PLACE MAKEOVERS BY SANTA CLARA VALLEY’S RENOVATION EXPERTS
At California Bathroom & Kitchen Remodelers, we love designing and installing stylish spaces that increase the functionality of your home. Our skilled craftsmen are well-versed with the unique needs of aging adults and offer creative solutions to meet the challenges of aging-in-place and follow ADA compliance guidelines. With clever design ideas and quality workmanship, we make sure that your kitchen and bathroom makeovers are not just practical, but also trendy and beautiful.
Since 1994, we have served homeowners across the Santa Clara Valley, including in San Jose, Willow Glen, Cambrian, Almaden, Santa Clara, Los Gatos and Los Altos Hills, CA. Read these testimonials from past clients, who have experienced our commitment to timelines, budget and customer service.
Call CBKR, your bathroom and kitchen remodeling contractor at 408-360-9700 or contact us online to schedule an in-home consultation. We can discuss and design a variety of adaptability features that best meet your aging-in-place requirements.
Originally posted at https://www.cabr.net/planning-for-aging-in-place/