Exciting Ideas for Home Remodeling in 2019
Enhance Energy Efficiency and Save More!
Is reducing energy usage an important goal in your upcoming home renovation or new home construction project? There are plenty of functional upgrades to help you save on utilities that are also aesthetically pleasing. With sustainable home designs gaining popularity among homeowners, smart improvements can significantly increase the value of your property. Before you begin, read the top home remodeling energy efficiency ideas for 2019.
5 Energy-Saving Home Renovations
Enjoy a more comfortable and healthier indoor environment by implementing these remodeling ideas.
- Switch to solar energy: We have abundant sunshine throughout the year, so why not harness the sun’s energy to power your home? Solar panels are increasingly in demand among Bay Area homeowners. Research shows that depending on the size of the system, you can save close to $200 every month on electricity, starting from the first year. With newer technology, solar panels are now more affordable and design-friendly. Local rebates can further increase your savings. Many homeowners opt for double-sided panels which harness more sunlight and deliver more power.
- Replace your windows: Windows can account for heat loss and gain of around 50%. Older homes are more susceptible to temperature fluctuations because of less efficient windows. Energy Star qualified windows with lower U-values offer sustained energy savings and pay for themselves in a short time. If your energy bills are high or windows are drafty, it may be time for new, energy-efficient windows.
- Upgrade your insulation: Increasing or replacing it can bring your older home up to modern standards and reward you with significantly lower energy bills. There are a few different types available, such as spray foam, blown-in, fiberglass batts, reflective (radiant) barriers, etc. Consider the R-value (ability to resist heat transfer) of each type before making your choice. According to the EPA, you can save an average of 15 percent on heating and cooling costs with better insulation and air sealing for home improvement.
- Install a cool roof: The biggest benefit of this feature is that it will reduce your cooling bills. Just like wearing light colors on a sunny day keeps you cool; these roofing systems absorb less heat than traditional ones and reflect heat away from your home. Consider retrofitting the roof with specialized heat-reflective material, recovering tiles with a new waterproofing surface, painting a metal roof or replacing it with a cool one. Green roofs (flat roofs with a garden or plant cover) are also a good option.
- Adopt smart technology: Certain technologically-advanced products can deliver great savings in terms of energy efficient home design. These include motion sensor lighting controls, smart meters for water heaters and programmable thermostats that let you lower and raise temperatures to prevent energy wastage when no one is home.
Hire an Experienced Builder for Energy-Efficient Renovations to Your Home
At Flegel’s Construction Co., we offer modern upgrades to improve your home comfort and add value to your property. We’ll work with you to transform your home into a true reflection of your lifestyle. Count on our experienced team of designers, construction experts and home building consultants to help you decide on the most cost-effective renovations for your home.
With our trademark quality and emphasis on customer satisfaction, we continue to serve a growing roster of happy customers across the Bay Area. You can see many of our successful projects in Palo Alto, San Jose, Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Mountain View and Cupertino, CA.
To discuss more home remodeling energy efficiency ideas for 2019, give us a call at 408-269-1101 to set up a consultation or contact us online.