Do Your Dogs Enjoy Enough Time Outside?
Get a Good Quality Pet Door Today!
Many pet owners only let their canines out when they need to relieve themselves. Most often, they do so only when they are home. However, your four-legged friends need to walk, run and play outdoors daily. Being inside for most of the day has a negative impact on their physical and mental health. From maintaining a healthy weight to avoiding behavioral issues, here are five important reasons why dogs need plenty of outside time. Installing a pet door is a great way to allow your dog more fresh air and exercise, even in your absence.
Reasons to Let Your Dog Out More Often
- Exercise: According to the Animal Foundation, your pooch requires at least one hour of exercise every day. However, dogs that are bred for sporting (pointers, retrievers, setters, spaniels, etc.) and herding (all hounds) activities, may need more activity. In addition to exercise, going for walks also offers an opportunity to train your pet on how to behave around other humans and animals.
- Weight control: A predominantly sedentary lifestyle can cause your dog to gain unnecessary weight. This puts the animal at risk for many serious medical conditions like arthritis, diabetes, heart disease, lung disorders, high blood pressure and cancerous tumors. Some studies suggest that dogs who maintain an ideal weight can live up to two years longer than others of the same breed.
- Mental stimulation: Changing their surroundings helps stimulate their senses. Many pets are bored being indoors all day. Behavioral problems such as chewing, excessive barking or crying are signs of boredom. Having a dog door to your home gives them access to your backyard where they can safely enjoy the outdoors even when you are not around. Leave a few chew toys or bones outside for them to play with.
- A healthy coat: The condition of your dog’s coat is a good indication of its health. Exposure to sunlight and temperature changes encourages a normal shedding cycle and promotes a healthier, shinier coat.
- Bathroom breaks: On average, dogs need to go outside at least 4-5 times per day to relieve themselves. Age, breed, sex, size, and diet may increase or decrease this frequency. On a hot day, your dog may drink a lot of water and need to go out more often. On a cooler day, she may be able to go longer without urinating. Some indications of needing to urinate or defecate include circling, sniffing, whining, pacing, scratching or standing by the door. Not all dogs are adept at telling their owners when they need to go out. Training your dog to use a pet door reduces the stress of holding it in and the likelihood of you having to clean up a mess.
Install a Pet Door to Give Your Dog Much-Needed Outside Time
Quality time outdoors is one of the best gifts you can give your canine friend. At A1 On Track Sliding Door, Inc., our pet doors are convenient, secure and energy efficient. We offer custom sizes to fit your pet. Our professional mobile team responds to your installation, repair and replacement requests promptly. For over 28 years, Bay Area homeowners have relied on our cost-effective and responsive services. Read these testimonials from our customers.
Our friendly and knowledgeable team will be happy to provide more information on why dogs need plenty of outside time.
Call 408-866-0267 today to schedule an appointment. If it slides, we’ll make it glide.
Originally posted at https://www.slidingdoorrepair.com/dogs-need-outside-time/