Asphalt Reconstruction Essentials: Good Repair and Maintenance
Skilled repair and maintenance are integral to asphalt reconstruction. As roads, pavements and driveways age, traffic and weather conditions lead to cracks and potholes. Neglect will result in large depressions that reach the sub-grade level and are beyond repair. Preventative maintenance and timely repairs will reduce your asphalt reconstruction expenses.
Heavy rains, flooding and high temperatures in Northern California take a toll on your asphalt surfaces. The condition of your paved surface will determine what rehabilitation method is suitable and how much it will cost. Our experienced asphalt reconstruction team offers key recommendations to help you extend surface life. Simply put, it costs less to maintain and repair an asphalt surface than it does to replace it.
You can defer complete asphalt reconstruction if you:
- Check for cracks. One easy way to keep a check on your asphalt surfaces is to do regular visual inspections for cracks. The size and depth of cracks offers a fair indication of the type of asphalt repair While crack filling might fix small surface issues, larger cracks require more extensive repair to prevent the foundation layers from being compromised.
- Fix potholes as soon as possible. Potholes are not only troublesome; they are dangerous and require detailed attention. Thorough cleaning of the debris, using the right patching material and proper compaction are required for successful pothole patching.
- Ensure proper drainage. Ponding water is one of the worst enemies for asphalt and can result in those ugly ‘alligator cracks’ you see on neglected roads, driveways and parking lots. Usually caused by problems with the sub-base and pavement grading, you will need professional assistance in resolving this problem. An experienced contractor will check for blockages, buildup and grading issues and correctly fix the problem.
- Consider using slurry seal. A highly effective cold mix paving system, slurry seal can remedy a broad range of problems on streets, parking lots, and driveways. The rubberized emulsion contains aggregates (crushed rocks) and is therefore, more resilient and durable than the traditional fog seal.
- Reseal surfaces. Asphalt sealcoats provide a watertight seal and will improve the appearance and lifespan of your roads, driveways and parking lots. Used on new and old asphalt surfaces, they protect your paved areas from weather, erosion and oxidation. They can also fill minor voids, improve the surface texture and provide a smooth, non-abrasive surface.
- Get a custom maintenance plan: A personalized maintenance plan that accounts for traffic patterns, water exposure, drainage and aging will extend the surface life of your streets, pavements, driveways and parking lots.
As a full-service local paving company, American Asphalt assures you of high quality work and lasting results. Whether you need new installation, asphalt reconstruction, repair or maintenance, our services are tailored to the unique needs of your Bay Area property. You can count on us for regular repairs and maintenance and, when necessary, cost-effective asphalt reconstruction.
Contact us online to inquire about asphalt reconstruction or repair and maintenance to make your roads, pavements, driveways and parking lots last longer. Call us at 800-541-5559 to book our paving services.
Originally posted at: http://www.americanasphalt.com/asphalt-reconstruction/