When is it Time to Replace Your Asphalt Driveway
How to Tell When it is Time to Replace Your Asphalt Driveway
Should you replace your asphalt driveway or just patch, resurface and repair it? Many property owners and managers choose to just patch crumbling or sunken areas and cracks rather than consider complete replacement because of the expense involved. However, after a certain point, repairs may not make the most sense. Here’s how you can tell when it is time to replace your asphalt driveway rather than reseal or patch it.
- Numerous holes: Potholes are areas where the asphalt has come off. They can vary in size—from a few inches to several feet—and are often the result of neglected cracks. If you have many potholes, it is likely that the structural integrity of your asphalt driveway has been compromised. Patching them is not cost-effective and more cracks and holes are likely to appear. The asphalt patches will also create an uneven surface and unsightly look for your property.
- Large cracks: Driveway cracks that are more than a quarter inch wide and few inches deep are usually an indication of bigger problems below the surface. They will allow water to penetrate into the base and this leads to further degradation. Resealing is just a cosmetic fix. Patching is a more complex job and can be expensive if there are several cracks.
- Sagging edges: This could mean that the underlying bed of crushed stone or compacted soil is eroding. Water that is ponding can completely saturate the driveway and weaken the structure further. Problems are likely to spread. Replacing your driveway in a timely manner will save you the cost, time and stress of constant repair.
- Sink holes: Usually caused by ground settling, a poorly constructed or washed out base, sink holes can lead to extensive and expensive repair. Depending on the depth of the hole, it might make more financial sense to replace your asphalt driveway rather than patch it.
- Age: Asphalt driveways that are more than 20 years old should be replaced. Repair or resurfacing is just a temporary solution and it is highly likely that new problems will arise. You could be caught up in an endless cycle of damage and repairs.
American Asphalt is a reliable asphalt paving company that provides high-quality installation, repair and maintenance services in the Bay Area at affordable rates. Take advantage of our customized asphalt maintenance plans to reduce your maintenance efforts and cost. We take pride in the surfaces we repair, install, and maintain. A unique 3-year warranty on new installations assures you of a job well done.
Pavement services by American Asphalt help customers maintain safe and attractive properties across the Bay Area, including those in Hayward, San Jose, Fremont, Mountain View, Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Milpitas, Pleasanton, Livermore, San Leandro, Newark, Union City, Gilroy, Palo Alto, Marin County, San Mateo, Burlingame, and Walnut Creek areas.
You can count on us to replace your asphalt driveway with a high-quality solution that reduces typical problems caused by water, oxidation and extreme temperatures.
Contact us to determine when it is time to replace your asphalt driveway. Call us at 800-541-5559 to
to inquire about our paving services.
Originally posted on www.americanashphalt.com