Hot Weather Safety Tips for Pets
Use a Pet Door and Keep them Out of the Sun
Dogs and cats are just as vulnerable to summer heat as young children and older people. While they might love to play outdoors, it is important to keep them safe from dehydration and sunburn. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) offers some important hot weather safety tips for your pets.
10 Ways to Protect Your Pets in Summer
- Use pet-specific sunscreen: Products for humans generally contain zinc oxide which is toxic for your animals.
- Limit walking on asphalt surfaces: The heat can burn their sensitive paws. Walk them in the grass if you can.
- Avoid over-exercising them: Walk your pooch during the early hours of the morning or after sundown when it is cooler.
- Provide plenty of fresh drinking water: Change the water in their bowls often and carry a bottle when you are outdoors with your pet.
- Never leave them unattended in your car: Vehicles will overheat in the sun even when the windows are slightly open. It is also illegal in many states to leave pets and children unattended in a parked car.
- Supervise them when swimming: Not many people know this, but not all dogs are adept at swimming. Always check to see if your dog is a swimmer, and more importantly, whether he or she likes the water. Train your pet not to drink pool water which contains chlorine and other chemicals.
- Recognize symptoms of overheating: These include excessive panting, difficulty breathing or breathing hard, drooling, increased heart rate, mild weakness, vomiting, bloody diarrhea and seizures.
- Do not shave your dog: Their hairy coat protects animals from overheating and sunburn. Just trim it to keep them cool.
- Brush fur and hair frequently: This can prevent problems associated with excessive heat.
- Do not leave them outside in the sun all day: Make sure they have a shady area in your yard or can come back inside the house through a pet door after they have done their job outside.
Prevent Sunburn and Overheating with a Good Quality Pet Door
A pet door allows your four-legged loved ones to come back inside to their safe haven. You don’t have worry about how to let them in or out when you are not around.
At A1 On Track Sliding Door, Inc., we offer a great selection of pet doors in standard or custom sizes to meet your needs. Our products have advanced security features, are energy efficient and easily install in your existing sliding glass door panel. Our mobile team provides prompt installation and repair services. For over 28 years, Bay Area homeowners have relied on our high-quality doors and top-rated service. Read these testimonials from our customers.
Ask our friendly and knowledgeable team for more hot weather safety tips for your pets.
Call 408-866-0267 today to schedule an appointment for pet door installation. If it slides, we make it glide.
Originally posted at https://www.slidingdoorrepair.com/hot-weather-safety-tips-for-pets/