Design for Manufacturability
Design for Manufacturability – Tips to Optimize Automation Process
Design Layout Review Reduces Rework and Repairs
Design for manufacturability (DFM) is a critical stage in your product development process. The aim to is optimize manufacturing functions right from fabrication, assembly and testing to shipping, in order to ensure quality, compliance and cost-saving. Research shows that decisions made during the design process account for 70% of your manufacturing expenses. Our circuit design and assembly experts can guide you on how to reduce repairs and rework and consequently production time and cost. Use these tips to optimize your design for manufacturability.
- Reduce number of parts. It means fewer purchases, inventory management, handling, processing, engineering and testing time. It also facilitates process automation. Avoiding left and right hand parts also speed ups the manufacturing process. Keep in mind that using multi-functional parts can significantly reduce the number of components you require.
- Opt for a modular design. Use of modules has multiple benefits including simplifying the manufacturing process and offering greater versatility if redesign is required.
- Use standardized components. They are less expensive, and easier availability reduces your lead time. It also helps minimize challenges with handling and assembly. Standardizing your design can make it easier for future product development initiatives.
- Evaluate design alternatives early in the process. Analyze number of parts, ease of handling and tolerance requirements. Working with a manufacturing partner like Power Design Services ensures PCB design layout review and helps eliminate costly rework.
- Maximize compliance: Make compliance an integral part of the design and assembly process. It will reduce parts and equipment damage.
- Minimize manual handling. Designing for easy product assembly typically means automating the process. Use symmetrical parts as far as possible or exaggerate asymmetry to avoid failures.
- Minimizing assembly steps, tooling and set ups will speed up the design and manufacturing process considerably.
Although DFM may involve more effort in the initial stages, it will result in a more viable product, quick and smooth transition to manufacturing, and lower total program/lifecycle cost. You will be able to better meet your customers’ needs.
Power Design Services offers world-class circuit board design and manufacturing services for diverse industries including semiconductor testing and manufacturing equipment, telecommunications, industrial equipment and medical devices. Our clients enjoy advanced PCB design solutions and complete services including material procurement, PCB design layout review, assembly/manufacture, shipping and inventory management. Customers rely on our PCB prototype services to ensure that any bugs in the product development process are identified and eliminated at the early stages.
Our sprawling 8,000-square foot, ESD-controlled plant is conveniently located near San Jose Mineta International Airport to provide you with fast and efficient service. Our ITAR and ISO-9000 Certifications offer you the assurance of the highest quality. We deliver special requests within 24 hours. Local pick-up and delivery in Silicon Valley is also available if you need it.
Ask our experts for a customized plan to reduce your manufacturing time and cost. Design for manufacturability solutions from Power Design Services will help reduce your time to market.
Request a quote for design for manufacturability services. Call Power Design Services at 408-437-1931 today.
This blog originally posted on: http://powerdesignservices.com/blog/